I’ve mentioned venture capitalist Mary Meeker before and now it’s time again. Her annual presentation covering internet growth, digital trends and marketing was released the other day and here is what I’m taking with me:
- Go global. Start looking wider than your closest markets. China and India are growing bigger and bigger each year. For example, China’s internet trends look better than the US, while internet giants around the world continue to grow more powerful. Become familiar with their platforms and user behaviour not to miss out.
- Use Facebook advertising. Facebook posted 59% growth over 2014-2015 – that’s a lot. Hyper-targeting apparently works since it allows you to spend your money on target groups that are likely to buy.
- Generation Z. The biggest difference between Generation Z and the Millenials in their preferred shopping experience is the shift from comprehensiveness to ease. Focus on brand values instead of price competitiveness.
- Don’t deny ad blockers. Ad-blockers is still on the rise. Instead of working around them, make sure to provide the users with the best possible onsite experience with quality content. Think entertaining, not intruding.
- Visual mediums continue to grow. Video viewership is exploding, for example Snapchat has more monthly minutes per visitor compared to any social medium besides Facebook. Why? Because photos still have the highest engagement. Good news for platforms like Snapchat, Facebook and Instagram. Users are both shopping and selling through image based mediums.
- Mobile advertising is still low-hanging-fruit. Advertisers still spend way too much money on print media and TV ads and not enough on digital marketing – especially mobile ads. Do it right from the start and you will have an advantage before bigger actors shift their media budgets.
Here’s the full PDF. What do you think?